All you need to know about chemical peels
Chemical peels are a highly effective skincare treatment known for their efficacy in reducing acne, dull skin and the signs of aging. The wonder-effects include improved tone, younger looking skin and a noticeable glow. But what exactly is a chemical peel? What are the benefits, and how can you tell if you are a good candidate?
What are chemical peels?
Chemical peels are a solution which is applied to the face, neck and sometimes hands. The solution is made up of acids found in fruit sugars and plant extracts and is designed to penetrate the upper layers of the skin, causing it to “blister” slightly.
After the procedure, the skin then peels, revealing brighter, smoother skin beneath.
Although peeling off the top layers of your skin might sound scary, chemical peels simply speed up and enhance the natural process of renewal that’s taking place on your skin all the time.
Our skin is constantly exposed to pollutants, harmful UV rays and dry conditions caused by central heating as well as any damage caused by cuts or grazes.
These cause blemishes, imperfections and scars that can dull our skin and make us look older, but often only affect the top few layers of the epidermis.
Chemical peels help reduce the appearance of blemishes and scars by removing the top few layers of skin to reveal healthy glowing skin underneath.
What are the benefits of chemical peels?
- Smoother skin
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles, especially around the eyes and mouth
- Helps repair UV damage
- Softer skin
- Reduced age spots, freckles and uneven skin tone
- Reduced scarring
- Effective treatment for certain kinds of acne
Often, more than one skincare treatment is required for optimal results. After that, ongoing procedures performed at 6 monthly intervals is recommended for maintenance.
What will happen to my skin?
Before the Procedure
- Initially, you will be given a thorough facial analysis. You may also have pre-treatment photos taken so that you can compare your skin before and after treatment.
- You will be given a course of products to use at home for 1 month before you have your procedure. This will prepare your skin to accept the peel and minimise any chance of irritation or pigmentation after treatment.
During the Procedure
- Your skin will be thoroughly cleansed before the chemical peel solution is applied.
- The solution will remain on your skin for 30 minutes. A mild tingling sensation is normal, but this will pass.
After the Procedure
A chemical peel will make your skin more sensitive for around three to seven days afterwards. Avoid make-up for at least an hour after. You’ll also want to apply a broad spectrum sunscreen.
The “blistering” normally occurs about three days after the procedure and is similar to a sunburn reaction. The skin will appear red and will gradually begin to flake or scale before peeling away to reveal healthier, rejuvenated skin underneath.
Your skin will appear smooth and clear with a healthy glow. You will notice improved tone and hydration and a significant reduction in blemishes, scarring, fine lines and wrinkles or pigmented patches on your skin.
For more information on chemical peels, please contact us today to book a consultation.